How do sex and sexuality play a role in Latin American histories? In what ways is sexuality a significant organizing principle in the study of Latin American societies? What does sexuality mean in Latin American cultures across time and space?
NOTCHES: (re)marks on the history of sexuality invites submissions on histories of sexuality in Latin America. We welcome blog posts (1000-1200 words); interviews with scholars, archivists, and activists; as well as submissions to our Archives of Desire series in which historians reflect on specific primary sources and their value in researching or teaching histories of sexuality.
Possible topics for exploration include:
- Histories of marriage and other unions
- Sexual identities and desires
- Sex work and intimate labor
- Colonialism or neocolonialism and sexuality
- Migration in relation to sexuality or sexual identity
- Public health, including contraception, HIV/AIDS, maternal health, eugenics, abortion, etc.
- Grassroots organizing around sexual identities
Style and image guidelines:
- Submissions should be written for a non-specialist and international audience. Therefore, avoid jargon and use hyperlinks – not footnotes – to clarify terms or concepts that may be unfamiliar to a general readership.
- Include at least one relevant image for which you have obtained permission and caption your image with clear attribution information. We welcome your use of a range of sources such as movies or sound files.
- Include a short hyperlinked author bio and photo with your submission
- For more information see www.notchesblog.com/write-for-notches
Send submissions to Dr. Nicole Pacino (email@example.com). Submissions from outside North America are especially welcome. All submissions to NOTCHES will undergo an internal peer-review process. Proposals and queries are most welcome.
NOTCHES: (re)marks on the history of sexuality is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at www.notchesblog.com.
For permission to publish any NOTCHES post in whole or in part please contact the editors at NotchesBlog@gmail.com